Delapré Abbey has received a grant of £82,100 from the Government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund to help the organisation recover and reopen to visitors on Thursday 20th May.
Nearly £400 million has been awarded to thousands of cultural organisations across the country including Delapré Abbey Preservation Trust in the latest round of support from the Culture Recovery Fund, the Culture Secretary announced today.
This award will enable the Abbey with its nine centuries of history to safely reopen to visitors this May and develop programmes and activities that bring people and communities together. During the pandemic, the Trust has refocussed its efforts to broaden its impact and reach, working with a range of partners from across the town to devise and deliver programmes that connect people to nature and heritage, and improve wellbeing.
Over £800 million in grants and loans has already been awarded to support almost 3,800 cinemas, performance venues, museums, heritage sites and other cultural organisations dealing with the immediate challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.
This brings the Government’s total investment across grants, capital and repayable finance from the Culture Recovery Fund so far to more than £1.2 billion across over 5,000 individual cultural and heritage organisations and sites.
The second round of awards made today will help organisations to look ahead to the spring and summer and plan for reopening and recovery. After months of closures and cancellations to contain the virus and save lives, this funding will be a much-needed helping hand for organisations transitioning back to normal in the months ahead.
Richard Clinton, Chief Executive of Delapré Abbey Preservation Trust, said:
“Everyone at Delapre Abbey Preservation Trust is really grateful for the support we’ve been shown. This funding will enable us to reopen on the 20th May with confidence that we can provide an enjoyable and safe space for everyone. At the same time, we can continue to develop our wellbeing, environmental and community programmes with partners such as the University of Northampton and Warts and All Theatre Company.”
Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, said:
“Our record breaking Culture Recovery Fund has already helped thousands of culture and heritage organisations across the country survive the biggest crisis they’ve ever faced.
Now we’re staying by their side as they prepare to welcome the public back through their doors – helping our cultural gems plan for reopening and thrive in the better times ahead.”
Ros Kerslake, CEO of The National Lottery Heritage Fund, said:
“Spring is definitely here, bringing not only sunshine but that sense of optimism and hope for the future. We are all looking forward to heritage places and other visitor attractions reopening and I am very pleased that we have been able to support DCMS in delivering this vital funding to ensure the UK’s heritage sector can rebuild and thrive, boosting local economies, creating jobs and supporting personal wellbeing.”
Duncan Wilson, Chief Executive of Historic England, said:
“The value of our heritage sites and the people who run them has been amply demonstrated, as they have provided an anchor for so many of us through the dark days of the last year. Vital grants from the Culture Recovery Fund have helped them survive and will now help them recover, as the places we all cherish start to reopen in the months ahead.”
The funding awarded today is from a £400 million pot which was held back last year to ensure the Culture Recovery Fund could continue to help organisations in need as the public health picture changed. The funding has been awarded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Historic England as well as the British Film Institute and Arts Council England.