In 1749, the Tate family connection to Delapré Abbey finally came to an end when the only heir, Mary, died soon after her marriage to a naval man, Sir Admiral Charles Hardy.
Although Charles continued to have an interest in Delapré Abbey, building the 18th century Stable Block and creating the Walled Garden, he evidently decided not to live at the Abbey. So after some years of letting the house, in 1764 he finally sold Delapré Abbey to one Edward Bouverie, younger brother of Viscount Falkner , for the grand sum of £22,000.
Edward already owned many lands in Delapré and Hardingstone – so the country estate that became known as Delapré Abbey was born.
For nearly 200 years, successive generations of Bouveries lived, entertained, and played their role as Northamptonshire gentry – surviving wars, family scandal, and challenging economics – until in 1943 Mary Bouverie, the last of the direct Delapré Bouverie line, died leaving the house unloved and unwanted.